Mixed Epidermal/Dermal Pigmentation is just that, a mix of both types of pigmentation.
This treatment aims at darkening and irritating the areas that are highly pigmented like sun damage, age spots. And consequently permitting that pigment to lose and depart, leaving a lighter skin in its place. Normally within 2 – 4 weeks.
There are three types of pigmentation:
- Epidermal Pigmentation is usually composed of solar lentigenes and freckles. All these are usually around the surface of the epidermis, and therefore easier to eliminate.
- Dermal Pigmentation is found at considerable deeper - in the Dermis. Melasma is a fantastic case of Dermal Pigmentation. For such cases, our laser is suited the best since it is penetrated very deeply.
- Mixed pigmentation is a mix of both Epidermal and Dermal pigmentation.
Reasons for Pigmentation:
- Too much exposure to the Sun rays. The ultraviolet rays traumatize the skin, leading to undesired brown spots most of time.
- Hormonal - i.e. Melasma - caused by estrogen from pregnancy or the pill
- Skin Trauma - i.e. Acne